Morphett Street F11
Sir John Morphett, the man after whom this street was named, has been described as a "a colossal figure in the province for more than fifty years". Morphett represented 115 Preliminary Land Order holders when the vote for Colonel Light's choice of the site for Adelaide was taken in a tent at Glenelg on 10th February 1837. His vote for Light's choice won the day. In 1837 he owned one of the only two horses then in South Australia. At the first Adelaide races, held on January 12th 1838, he ran a mare called Fidget. The stewards were James Hurtle Fisher (who became his father-in-law) and Colonel Light.
Morphett was one of the four non-official members of the Legislative Council from 1843 until 1851, and Speaker until 1854. He continued his political career under Responsible Government (1857) until 1873. His house, Cummins was built on his land at Glenelg. George Strickland Kingston was the architect. Morphettville Racecourse is named after him as is Morphett Vale. These reflect his immense land holdings in South Australia as he was the first Secretary of the Secondary Towns Association which commenced several 4,000 acre Special Surveys.
Morphett street was fenced off from the public as a crossing to the park lands when the railway to Port Adelaide was built. A bitter controversy ended in the municipal authorities defying the railway management and tearing down the barricade. Thereafter gates were installed. (More on this story later) He died in November 1892 at the age of 83.
O'Connell Street H4
After Daniel O'Connell, the celebrated Irish politician. See Jeffcott Street.
O'Connell in 1830 was a member of the House of Commons where he fought for prison reform, free trade, abolition of slavery and Catholic emancipation. He was prominent in the campaign for universal suffrage with William Molesworth.